FORGET the fakery, forget the pursuit of perfection, when it comes to lasting ‘beauty’, it’s your uniqueness that stands you apart from others.
That makes YOU special. That makes YOU beautiful.
Forget what the media and advertising executives want you to believe, real beauty is so much more than skin deep.
Example? Have you ever been bowled over by a visually stunning person in real life only to see their beauty diminish before your very eyes as you find out they’re actually rather dull or pretty unpleasant?
This is because the way you look is only a tiny part of what makes you beautiful. The rest has to come from the inside. From the very core of your being.
Corny? Perhaps, but yet totally true.
Think of the people you know who you consider to be beautiful and for a moment, forget about their style, their luscious hair or prettiness and look a little deeper.
My guess is that it’ll be something else, something perhaps that you might not even be able to put your finger on, that makes them stand apart in your mind.
Now don’t get me wrong, I’m a total advocate for making the most of ourselves and looking our best. We all look and more importantly, feel better, with a bit of spit and polish.
But true beauty isn’t something that can be created with a slick of lipstick or a bottle of the finest fake tan.
No, no, no. This can only really come from you character, your joie de vivre, your spirit.
Think of yourself as a beautifully wrapped present. Yes you want the packaging to look lovely and enticing but the real value of you, the actual present, lies inside not out.
It’s the happiness in your face when you laugh, the twinkle in your eyes when you’re thinking something naughty, the compassion when you smile warmly at someone, the movement in your body when you dance.
* Showcase your imperfections, don’t hide them.
* Celebrate your age, don’t fear it. Age does NOT define us, but it will if you let it.
* Be proud of who you are but humble enough to be gracious.
* Appreciate your body and be thankful – yes thankful – for what you have been given.
* Be kind to yourself. Only show yourself love and respect.
* Stop comparing yourself to others.
* Realise that life is too short to chase perfection and that actually, it’s in imperfection where outstanding beauty lies.
* Enjoy life so much that it’s written all over your face! I’d rather have a face full of well deserved laughter lines any day than be a bitter-faced misery scared of cracking a smile. Wouldn’t you?
* Rejoice in all that makes you, YOU (Including the bits you don’t like).
Till the next time, know that you ARE indeed beautiful.
The picture above is of a precious drawing created by my niece when I was pregnant over a year ago. Why have I used it? Because it was a time in my life when I looked a million miles away from perfection but yet felt totally and utterly beautiful. Thank you Ella x